gen_server2 proliferation

Tim Fletcher mail@REDACTED
Wed Jul 21 11:14:55 CEST 2010

> Short of military tribunal, does anyone have a thought on how to resolve this?

I posted about this a while ago, but nobody commented:

  http://groups.google.com/group/erlang-programming/msg/1710c37051c2bd6a

  http://www.erlang.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi/4/50438

Is it possible to just use gen_server2 when starting processes (i.e.
gen_server2:start_link etc), and use gen_server for all other calls
(i.e. gen_server:call etc)? That's a smaller change to make than using
gen_server2 all over.

I don't think including a copy of gen_server2 in every project is
sensible, but that's my opinion. Alternatives seem to be listing it as
a dependency, or as you say, prefixing the project name (e.g.
riak_gen_server.erl). The former is more hassle for users of a
project, the latter is not much different from including gen_server2
except that you don't get clashes with coexisting projects.

> Is there a common set of changes that could possibly make
> it into Erlang?

There was a thread about the possibility of merging the changes back
into OTP:

  http://groups.google.com/group/erlang-programming/browse_thread/thread/112e6692ab6fadcd

  http://www.erlang.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?4:sss:45410:200907:pklailjkmmfghgejommi

Not sure if anything came of that (?).