[erlang-questions] linked in driver port performance

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Wed Jul 14 07:10:44 CEST 2010

I think you are having problems with the driver becoming permanent when
you make the first asynchronous call (there is code that locks the port
driver so the dll/so can not be unloaded (so it can't be reloaded)).
The code is trying to protect the code from the possibility that a
thread finishes but the port driver has already been unloaded, which is
a valid concern (but could be handled in more complex ways).  The
problem has been mentioned before here
http://www.trapexit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14295&sid=5de3c47e32136682080511d8d95d458e
.

ERL_DRV_FLAG_USE_PORT_LOCKING is the flag to make sure different
scheduler threads can call the port driver instances concurrently (the
entry in the driver_flags struct member
http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/driver_entry.html#driver_flags) as
discussed here http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/erl_driver.html#smp_support
.  I assume NIFs use the port driver default of "driver level locking"
(driver_flags == 0, i.e., not ERL_DRV_FLAG_USE_PORT_LOCKING), but I am
not sure.

- Michael