[erlang-questions] Let's start a project for a (MMO-)Game in Erlang... (inspired by "Erlang: Who uses it for games?")

Boris Mühmer boris.muehmer@REDACTED
Sat Jul 10 13:21:43 CEST 2010

I will have a look at bitbucket and github. Does bitbucket have a
"free plan" for many users? I didn't see it at my first glance...

I know Linux doesn't have any problems with git, mercurial, or
whatever. How about Windows and Mac OS X? Sometimes I use subversion
on windows, but I don't have too much experience about git or
mercurial. I also have an old G4 Mac, even with Mac OS X, but I never
did any programming on that machine.

Also how should we name the project?

Somehow I don't want to have the term "Game" in the name, because I
think a general approach wouldn't only be interesting for games (like
Fantasy-/SF-MMO[RP]Gs), but also "Virtual Worlds" (like Second Life),
maybe it could also be of interest for "Virtual-Classrooms".

Maybe we need more than one project. Like one for the major "backbone"
components (cluster management, monitoring, load balancing,
accounting, reporting, tools) and other for "instances" like "Erlang
Vast Exploration Online", "Universe of Erlang", "My Erlang Farm",
"Erlang Mafia Disputes", "Erlang Aquarium", "Erlang Life", "Cafe
Erlang"...

Should we discuss those things using "erlang-questions" or move to
Google Groups or another mailing list? I don't want to annoy to many
people with crazy thoughts...

  - boris