[erlang-questions] Let's start a project for a (MMO-)Game in Erlang... (inspired by "Erlang: Who uses it for games?")

Dale Harvey dale@REDACTED
Fri Jul 9 20:10:04 CEST 2010

On 9 July 2010 18:55, Boris Mühmer <boris.muehmer@REDACTED> wrote:

> It looks like some people are interested in Erlang game programming.
> On the other hand getting started in Erlang and OTP isn't too easy.
> Especially for people with a strong C/C++/C#/Java/etc background.
>
> Inspired by the "Erlang: Who uses it for games?" thread I thought about
> starting a community project to implement a MMO game in Erlang/OTP.
> The goal would be to collect some "best-practices" for different tasks.
>
> Actually I am more interested in the server side than how to implement
> a top-notch-state-of-the-art client. Also I think Erlang is more suited
> for the server side. But I am also interested in how to interface the
> "server-side erlang" using a (C/C++, Java, Python) cross-plattform
> client (using wxWidget or Qt as a base and OpenGL for graphics).

I would completely recommend using a web front end, depending on the type of
graphics involved dom / canvas / svg or webgl can be used for rendering, and
comet or websockets for communication.

erlang has long missed the boat on becoming a strong platform for building
cross platform desktop clients, and considering how well suited it is for
writing the server components of a web application I would suggest sticking
to its strengths.

(I would love to keep updates, and while I would love to contribute, the
chances are I will be too busy, no harm in bugging me if you are looking for
a web frontend though)