[erlang-questions] Erlang: Who uses it for games?

Michael McDaniel erlangy@REDACTED
Thu Jul 8 17:00:31 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 07:10:45PM +0900, Michael Turner wrote:
> Though James Hague has mainly talked about client-side game programming, and
> mostly separately from Erlang topics, his writings are on both Erlang and
> games is fascinating, and even where there's no clear overlap, they perhaps
> be a source of insights on this topic.  Besides which, reading him on these
> subjects leads you compulsively onto other programming topics he's covered,
> and before you know it, you've eaten the *whole bag* of potato chips ;-)
>
>   *http://tinyurl.com/26dthru*
> *
> *
> -michael turner
>
> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 5:05 PM, ingo.schramm <schramm.ingo@REDACTED>wrote:
>
> > Does somebody ever used Erlang to program game servers? Is there any
> > real live industrial game solution written in Erlang?
> >
> > I need to know this for some evangelization :)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Ingo

 This is the article by James that introduced me to Erlang ...

    http://www.dadgum.com/james/performance.html

   (see also  http://prog21.dadgum.com/11.html)

 I think I stumbled upon the original performance article
 in early 2005 and investigated Erlang at that time.

 I was fairly burnt out on computers and especially software
 (after about 30 years of computers, last 20 of which were
 software).  I was on a multi-month (year?) hiatus from
 software/systems creation in any form.

 Then I stumbled upon James's article and actually got excited
 about software again!  James introduced me to a tool, Erlang,
 that didn't get in my way, but actually, in a major way,
 facilitated my end results.  And provided some income and
 lots of fun (still).

 James, I doubt I ever said so until now, so *"Thank you"* for
 the original performance article and introduction to Erlang.
 (I have told the OTP team *Thank you* for Erlang, and do so
  again here).

~M

--
Michael McDaniel