Problems cross compiling: eheap_alloc: Cannot reallocate 3480006320 bytes of memory

Winston Smith <>
Fri Jan 29 22:22:17 CET 2010

Trying to run a cross compiled version of R13B03 on an AVR32-Linux
system (NGW100/buildroot-2.3.0) I get the following:

/home/avr32 # erl

Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
eheap_alloc: Cannot reallocate 3480006320 bytes of memory (of type "heap").

I've had this working before (I think with R13B01) but I've since
upgraded my build host from Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10.  I actually had this
same issue originally, and I somehow solved it, but I can't for the
life of me remember what I did.  I am setting up an xconf file with
the proper values for size_t, off_t, big endian etc; in fact I based
my build script on Brian Zhou's script for building Erlang on NSLU2

Any thoughts on where to start debugging/diagnosing this?  (the
embedded gdb doesn't work)  Is the erl_crash.dump useful (and how do I
interpret it!)?

Many thanks in advance!