[erlang-questions] How to compiler Erlang for the TILEPro64?

Björn-Egil Dahlberg egil@REDACTED
Fri Jan 29 17:49:59 CET 2010

Stefan Marr wrote:
> Hi Björn-Egil:
>
> Thanks a lot, worked great!

Great to hear! =)

> Here some notes, about things I had "trouble" with.
>
> The SKIP files seem to be deleted by the configure step, thus I had to recreate them afterwards. Otherwise I get linker errors, since the tile-gcc tried to link some IA32 files. Think it was complaining about crypto.a or something similar.

Yes, this is unfortunate and a bug. The boostrap configure step is done
after the tile-configuration and thus removes the skip-files in the
setup step. This worked in R13B02-1, probably because of another bug in
configure or otp_build.

These bugs will not, per se, be corrected. The whole cross compile build
step is redone to r13b04.

> For the release step, I also had to do a "touch lib/mnesia/SKIP" for some reason, I haven't investigated further.

Ok, when testing it here it works.

> It is also good to know, that <release dir> has to be an absolute path :)

Right. I think this will also be addressed in r13b04.

> Afterwards, you can have a very happy helloworld with
> tile-monitor --pci --here -- bin/erl -noshell -s hello_world start -s init stop

> I have not yet looked anywhere into the actual support provided for the Tilera chips, but is there something like printing the core id the process is running on?
> Are there any parameters to erl to specify how many hardware cores to use?

Yes. There are several settings you can specify.
Firstly you can specify how many schedulers you want to use, this is
done via +S switch.

Secondly if you want to bind schedulers to tile cores you need to set a
cpu topology which corresponds to the actual topology on your card (if
it is not detected automatically). This can be done from erlang or on
the command line using the +sct switch.

Please read,
http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/erlang.html#system_info_cpu_topology
http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/erlang.html#system_flag_cpu_topology

To bind schedulers use command line switch +sbt db for instance.
Further reading,
http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/erlang.html#system_flag_scheduler_bind_type

Putting it all together.

An example,

... upload-tile setup things ...

$TILERA_ROOT/bin/tile-monitor --pci-resume \
   --upload otp /tmp/otp \
   --upload tests /tmp/tests \
   --quit

tile_erl="$TILERA_ROOT/bin/tile-monitor --pci-resume --tunnel 2023 23 \
     --env HOME=/tmp \
     --cd /tmp/tests \
     --tiles - all ^0 - -- /tmp/otp/bin/erl"

Using 58 schedulers ...

$tile_erl +sct L10-18,1-9,19-55,57,58,61c1-55,57,58,61 +sbt db \
	-noshell\
         +S 58 \
         -s run_test test1 \
         -s init stop

I cannot guarantee that this will work on your card though. But
hopefully you can get some useful information from this.

Regards,
Björn-Egil
Erlang/OTP