[erlang-questions] crypt(3) password hashing?

Michael Santos <>
Thu Jan 14 16:50:17 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:02:50AM +0000, Brian Candler wrote:
> Does erlang have an equivalent to crypt(3), to calculate password hashes
> like these?
> >> "test".crypt("aa")
> => "aaqPiZY5xR5l."
> >> "test".crypt("$1$aaaaaaaa")
> => "$1$aaaaaaaa$lWxWtPmiNjS/cwJnGm6fe0"
> I can't find it in the crypto app. I also googled around; I found the same
> question asked at
> http://forums.pragprog.com/forums/27/topics/391
> but unfortunately no direct answer was given.

Not that I know of (which isn't saying much). But using NIF's, you can
create an Erlang wrapper around crypt():

1> crypt:crypt("test","aa").
2> crypt:crypt("test","$1$aaaaaaaa").
3> crypt:crypt("test","$6$aaaaaaaa").

It'd be nice to have an Erlang version though, maybe a project for
another time.