[erlang-questions] Benchmarks

Matt Stancliff <>
Thu Jan 14 08:55:28 CET 2010

On Jan 13, 2010, at 10:31 AM, Fred Hebert wrote:

> helpful. CEAN and trapexit are other excellent sources for
> programmers. The
> guys at http://ideone.com/ has a feature to run Erlang code from the
> web (à
> la codepad.org), there are countless interesting products and tools.
> I do
> believe this is the way to really make Erlang a better choice for
> developing
> new products.

   I can't let mentions of online code doohickeys go by without
mentioning my
recent project: http://runroot.com/
   runroot is a web-based live REPL system.  You can run a very
responsive erlang
shell right in your browser with full access to the underlying system.

   Backstory:  runroot was made with the intention of creating a web-
low barrier to entry erlang tutoring system.  To increase the appeal
I added another handful of languages at the last minute.  It's still
early in the project's life, but so far everything is coming together

   Some people have been talking about C vs. Erlang again recently.  I
the first runroot backend[1] as a cnode + libevent.  After months of
bugs and subtle race conditions, it still didn't work properly.  I
rewrote the
ten month old project in eight hours.  It went from 2k LOC in C to
less than
600 LOC in Erlang (and it has more features than the 2k LOC C version!).

[1]: Released at: http://bitbucket.org/mattsta/runroot-eco/
      Don't repeat my mistakes.

Matt Stancliff                    San Jose, CA
AIM: seijimr              iPhone: 678-591-9337
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." --Alan Kay