[erlang-questions] Benchmarks

Matt Stancliff sysop@REDACTED
Thu Jan 14 08:55:28 CET 2010

On Jan 13, 2010, at 10:31 AM, Fred Hebert wrote:

> helpful. CEAN and trapexit are other excellent sources for
> programmers. The
> guys at http://ideone.com/ has a feature to run Erlang code from the
> web (à
> la codepad.org), there are countless interesting products and tools.
> I do
> believe this is the way to really make Erlang a better choice for
> developing
> new products.

   I can't let mentions of online code doohickeys go by without
mentioning my
recent project: http://runroot.com/
   runroot is a web-based live REPL system.  You can run a very
responsive erlang
shell right in your browser with full access to the underlying system.

   Backstory:  runroot was made with the intention of creating a web-
based,
low barrier to entry erlang tutoring system.  To increase the appeal
I added another handful of languages at the last minute.  It's still
very
early in the project's life, but so far everything is coming together
nicely.

   Some people have been talking about C vs. Erlang again recently.  I
wrote
the first runroot backend[1] as a cnode + libevent.  After months of
chasing
bugs and subtle race conditions, it still didn't work properly.  I
rewrote the
ten month old project in eight hours.  It went from 2k LOC in C to
less than
600 LOC in Erlang (and it has more features than the 2k LOC C version!).

[1]: Released at: http://bitbucket.org/mattsta/runroot-eco/
      Don't repeat my mistakes.

-Matt
--
Matt Stancliff                    San Jose, CA
AIM: seijimr              iPhone: 678-591-9337