[erlang-questions] [ANN] efene programming language 0.1 released

Essien Essien essiene@REDACTED
Wed Jan 13 18:07:58 CET 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 8:11 PM, Mariano Guerra
<luismarianoguerra@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Essien Essien <essiene@REDACTED> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 5:42 AM, Mariano Guerra
>> <luismarianoguerra@REDACTED> wrote:
>>> efene is a programming language that runs on the erlang virtual machine.
>>>
>>> the idea is to provide an alternative syntax to erlang that is most
>>> suitable for people coming from languages like Java, C, C++, C#,
>>> Javascript.
>>>
>>> the language is almost 100% compatible with erlang (and will be), the
>>> compiler allows to translate an efene source file into a readable
>>> erlang one. It also adds some syntactic sugar in some places to make
>>> some tasks easier.
>>>
>>> to see how it looks you can go to the examples dir[0]
>>>
>>> more info at efene’s main site[1] and the efene’s github page[2]
>>>
>>> [0] http://github.com/marianoguerra/efene/tree/master/examples/
>>> [1] http://marianoguerra.com.ar/efene
>>> [2] http://github.com/marianoguerra/efene/
>>>
>>> http://efene.tumblr.com/post/329929156/efene-0-1-released
>>
>> I took a look at this and loved it immedietly. The main goal of source
>> to source translation seems to have been met. I'm not too sure of some
>> of the syntax like that for binary, I still think I prefer the native
>> erlang syntax for binary... but that's just me. all in all... very
>> nice!
>
> at this moment the syntax can be changed so any recommendation is appreciated

cool. I've cloned it on github, and will play around with it a bit.

>> Do you have any other plans for the efene itself? Maybe some
>> interesting features like optional typing syntax with efene functions
>> which could translate to dialyser annotations in the erlang
>> sources?... something like that? That would really make it compelling.
>
> that would be really nice, if you have some specific idea I will see
> if I implement it

ok... let me wet my feet in the code and then i'll prolly brainstorm
some ideas with you by weekend or something.

>> Also, do you at any point want to do pure erlang vm bytecode
>> generation? as opposed to erlang source code generation?
>
> it already generates .beam files, the -t erl was just to show how
> translated the code but the default us -t beam :)

my bad! missed that. cool!

>> Ohh... and the Go frontend driver is pretty nice... I see why the
>> language has generated soo much hoolabaloo on da intarwebs! :)
>
> I wanted to generate a binary and I didn't wanted to fight with C strings :)

hehehe... its a fight you usually make it through to the end, but have
a sneaky feeling you've still lost :)

cheers,
Essien