[erlang-questions] IP packet manipulation within Erlang

Chandru chandrashekhar.mullaparthi@REDACTED
Fri Jan 8 00:11:59 CET 2010

Hi Trevor,

2010/1/7 Trevor Woollacott <trevorw@REDACTED>

> 2010/1/7 Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@REDACTED>
>>
>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> How suitable is Erlang for a small project where I'd like to
>>>
>>> - grab all incoming IP packets
>>> - perform some IP header manipulation
>>> - send out the modified packets
>>>
>>> I attempted this a few years ago. I tried to write a linked in driver
>> which
>> got packets from libipq [1]. That was painful. So I dumped the idea of
>> using
>> erlang at all, and did it all in C which was pretty straightforward and
>> worked quite well. I didn't put any large load on it, but it was enough
>> for
>> what I was doing at the time.
>>
>> cheers
>> Chandru
>>
>> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libipq
>>

> Hi Chandru
>
> Do you mind elaborating on the issues that you experienced when writing the
> linked in driver using libipq?

Sorry Trevor, I tried hard to recollect, but I can't remember. I do remember
giving up using Erlang in frustration, and writing it in C, much to my
annoyance because I could've done some really complex processing with the
packet stream if I could get them into Erlang.

Chandru