[erlang-questions] Re: Will parameterized modules become an official part of Erlang?

Tuncer Ayaz tuncer.ayaz@REDACTED
Sun Feb 21 02:38:46 CET 2010

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 11:32 PM, Steve Davis
<steven.charles.davis@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hi Tuncer,
>
> Yep, I have read that paper. I think that was where I first learned
> how to use parameterized modules.
>
> I'm just saying that in practice, I am personally using them less and
> less.

I do think that experimental implies that a feature and its current
implementation are being tested and may be replaced or removed.
Parameterized modules, -extends and package support are IIRC all
experimental and it's good because it gives us a way to avoid
accidentally introducing features that look good on paper and not
being able to change/remove them later on.

So having a discussion about parameterized modules is a good thing.

If it wasn't for great features like bit syntax and bit string/list
comprehension I would be tempted to say "less syntax with more power
instead of more syntax with less power in each".