[erlang-questions] discussion: mnesia table-specific options

Morten Krogh mk@REDACTED
Mon Dec 20 16:56:47 CET 2010

Hi

It sounds like very good work to make it easy to use all kinds of
backends with mnesia.

I don't see that ram_copies, disk_copies, disk_only_copies is at a
differernt level than the backend.

Some backends, as you say, can only operate on disk or in memory. (TC
can be used in pure memory mode, I would claim, but that is a
digression. TCMAP in tcutil.c).

That will make the interface a bit strange.

What about this? You specify a list [{node, backend, optional options}]

So if I wanted two nodes node1, node2,

I could write

[{node1, ets}, {node1, tc, options}, {node2, dets}, {node2, mysql,
options}]

And a very clear set of requirments could be made for new backends, e.g,
they must present a get, put, erase etc. Then people could even create
their own
backend very easily. A proplist or gb_tree could become a backend. A
simple file storage could be a backend.

I could just write

module my_files_module

put(Key, Value) ->
      file:write(Key, term_to_binary(Value).

and similarly for get and erase,

and then plug it into mnesia

[{node1, my_files_module, Dir1}, {node2, my_files_module, Dir2}]

and then there would be a transactional way of saving files on two nodes
using mnesia.

The choice of memory or disk would then be part of the backend and its
options, not a separate level. Actually mnesia might not even understand
what the backend is doing.
The backend could be a remote database, it could be a disk/ram hybrid.

Furthermore, what one could have was a write_only option for the
backend. Then mnesia would only use put and erase for that backend and
never issue a get. An append only log file could then be plugged in
easily as a backend. It would just implement put as file append of {put,
Key, Value}, and erase as an append of {erase, Key, Value}. But you
could never query it, except after a crash which would be a special case.

For crash recovery the backends could present an iterator through all
values.

Cheers,

Morten.