[erlang-questions] announcing fnt - jquery-like templates for the erlang platform

Alain O'Dea alain.odea@REDACTED
Fri Dec 17 04:40:06 CET 2010

On Thursday, December 16, 2010, Mariano Guerra
<luismarianoguerra@REDACTED> wrote:
> About fnt - efene templates
>
> first the most important, fnt code is hosted at github here:
>
> https://github.com/marianoguerra/fnt---efene-templates
>
> the documentation is here:
>
> http://marianoguerra.com.ar/fnt/
>
> you are invited to contribute by testing it, reporting bugs, improving
> the documentation, spreading the word and the most awesome of all, by
> helping with the development.
>
> fnt (efene templates) is an erlang module that allows to compile text
> templates into erlang modules to be used in the erlang platform
> (erlang, efene, reia, LFE, etc.)
>
> fnt uses the syntax of jquery templates , this has several advantages,
> first you have to learn only one template syntax for server and client
> side templates, second you can reuse the templates to create server
> and client generated pages, to improve page crawling by search engines
> and provide non javascript versions of your site without duplicating
> effort. Also, you have the benefit of more documentation and examples
> of the template syntax.
>
> fnt templates are compiled into bytecode, you get fast page generation
> since the template is translated into an optimized function that
> avoids string concatenations.
>
> your next step should be following the fnt tutorial:
> http://marianoguerra.com.ar/fnt/tutorial.html
>
> Frequently Asked Questions
>
> why the name if it’s written in erlang?
>
> I don’t want to push efene as a forced dependency to everyone wanting
> to use fnt in languages like erlang, reia and LFE.
>
> also because it will be in the efene standard library and I’m really
> bad at names ;)
>
> that said efene is awesome so go and check it out!
>
> license?
>
> BSD
>
> more resources
>
>     * Website and documentation: http://marianoguerra.com.ar/fnt
>     * Tutorial: http://marianoguerra.com.ar/fnt/tutorial.html
>     * Blog: http://efene.tumblr.com
>     * Central git repo: http://github.com/marianoguerra/fnt---efene-templates

FNT looks really cool Mariano!  I am looking forward to trying it out.
 Generating callable modules with a friendly API from templates is
awesome :)