Changing the cookie in a running system

Igor Ribeiro Sucupira igorrs@REDACTED
Fri Dec 17 01:42:15 CET 2010

Hi.

I am planning to change the cookie on a running Erlang pool (by
calling erlang:set_cookie/2 via RPC on all nodes).
Does that procedure create any communication problems between the
nodes, while the cookie is being changed?

I believe the cookie is only used when the nodes connect to each other
for the first time, so that changing it later should be safe. Am I
correct?

Thanks!
Igor.

P.S.: I'm not worried about stored cookies and what will happen
whenever any node is restarted or added to the pool (we'll deal with
that). I am interested in what happens when erlang:set_cookie/2 is
called in a node that is already in the pool.

--
"The secret of joy in work is contained in one word - excellence. To
know how to do something well is to enjoy it." - Pearl S. Buck.