starting OTP applications?

Andy Kriger <>
Thu Dec 16 13:44:15 CET 2010

There appear to be many ways to start applications used by an OTP
* From the supervisor, setup child processes (Webmachine's does this
in the template it creates for a new WM app).
* From the application, call application:start on related applications
via some kind of ensure_started function
* Reltool, which I don't even partially grok, appears to setup scripts
based on a config file and is responsible for starting related
applications (?)
* Have I missed any?

Is there a preferred way to do this that applies to both applications
& releases equally?

(I say equally, because I ran into problems getting my application
which runs locally from a start script to work as a release - it
appeared that the application's start or start_link function that I
use to setup my database was never called, meaning the tables were not
automagically craeted on first run - mind you, we're talking PEBCAK
here because I'm still learning how all this works and undoubtably
don't understand fully the order of things in the script that reltool

Be well,

Welcome to
On family, NYC, and practicing yoga.