[erlang-questions] Dialyzer success type question

Gordon Guthrie gordon@REDACTED
Wed Dec 15 17:12:57 CET 2010

Kostis

I am wrestling with dialyzer warnings at the moment.

> specifically, in some cases dialyzer reports that a certain function has no
> local return (meaning some call will fail/halt/exit within its body) but
> does not report the culprit.

With this warning Dialyzer 'seems' to be telling me that some function
calls will always fail, but when I run the actual code it passes...

> When these are calls to functions that do not
> have a success typing (i.e., all their paths are throws, errors, etc.)

Part of the problem is that I don't know what a 'sucess typing' is...

> but in cases where functions return
> something in some control flow paths and not in others it can be extremely
> frustrating to spot the reason for the no return. We are slowly
> identifying/fixing these cases so that warnings are reported in these cases.

> Please, do send me cases where no local return warnings are reported without
> an obvious reason.

I have tried tracking down a couple of these but it tends to get deep
in stack traces...

How much context would you need?

Gordon