[erlang-questions] RFC: mnesia majority checking

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Fri Dec 10 08:44:28 CET 2010

On 9 Dec 2010, at 20:38, Morten Krogh wrote:

> Okay, but without Paxos or something similar, there will be some failure modes where the system becomes inconsistent.

The failure mode where mnesia becomes inconsistent is split brain.
Mnesia doesn't bring any table copies online before having
synchronised them fully with the online copies. Currently, that is done
by simply copying the entire table from one of the active nodes.

After a split-brain, mnesia will detect the condition and refuse to
sync the tables. There are ways to reconcile, and this was the
purpose of my 'unsplit' library (http://github.com/esl/unsplit).

The main method I have used so far with unsplit is to compare
vector clocks. This works best for asserting that there is no inconsistency,
or merging the objects where it's clear from the vector clocks which is
the newer object. It doesn't address the problem where reconciliation
cannot be automatic.

The idea with majority is obviously to allow for a more controlled
merging, instructing mnesia not to allow updates under circumstances
where subsequent split-brain merging could become undecided.

> When do you roll back? After the commit? I was talking about a failure after the commit decision. Rollback after commit doesn't make sense??

The rollback is done if there is any failure during the 'prepare'
phase of the commit. If all participants respond favourably to
the prepare request, this means that they have logged all data
needed to complete the commit and are standing by to hear if
they should.

The underlying assumption is that failures just after commit in
mnesia will not be partial. If a node fails, it needs to come back
online by way of comparing decision logs and synchronising
tables.

Really, I didn't invent this protocol, and I've taken great care not
to alter it, as I've assumed it is robust. It's been in mnesia for years.
It's the same protocol that's used for schema updates in mnesia,
more heavyweight and pessimistic than the 'normal' commit
protocol. If you wish to dissect the asym_trans protocol looking for
nasty corner cases, I think it's great, but then perhaps one of the
mnesia maintainers, Dan and Håkan (still counting Håkan as such)
should join the discussion.

What I've done is make the commits even more pessimistic in the
presence of the 'majority' flag by inserting a precondition.

BR,
Ulf W