[erlang-questions] Multi-line comments in Erlang

Daniel Goertzen daniel.goertzen@REDACTED
Thu Dec 9 16:58:05 CET 2010

Thank you for reminding me about HEREDOCs.  In Python, I often use triple
quoted strings for multiline comments.  It works well, but they are exposed
to the interpreter which smells a bit.  What if erlang had HEREDOCs *plus* a
way to mark any string as a comment.  Some illustrations, using Python's
triple quoting as HEREDOC format.

X="""
This is
a multiline heredoc
""",

%"""
This is
a multiline comment
"""

myfun(X, Y %"An inline comment", Z) -> ...

So comment and string delimiting uses the exact same logic, but you stick a
% in front to mark it as a comment instead of a string.

Dan.