Speaking of comments

Edmond Begumisa <>
Wed Dec 8 16:15:14 CET 2010

I've thought -- now and then, in the back of my mind -- about removing
comments from actual source all-together (for all languages) and instead,
putting them in companion files that the editor lines up side-by-side.
More like annotating than just traditional commenting.

Has this sort of thing been done before? Is there a particular editor that
can give me this out of the box? (I admittedly haven't explored a large
number of editors)

Using Erlang as an example, I've secretly wanted something like...

Then an editor that could give me two panes while keeping the two files in

foo ->  | This function does...
   blah  |   This part is buggy...
   balh  |

Also, in the right pane, I've wanted nestable trees with flexible levels
of detail. Heck, why not even rich text? "FIX ME" in bold red. Take it
further: login-name awareness, source-control/bug-tracker integration
(this programmer said this, that programmer said that.)

It seems a shame that in 2010, it's still so limiting what we can do with
comments in our source code!

- Edmond -