[erlang-questions] mailing list "reply to"

Morten Krogh mk@REDACTED
Mon Dec 6 12:52:16 CET 2010

Hi

Sure, you can call a mail server a robot.
Let me rephrase it.

The mailing list can either be seen as an alias or as an entity (robot,
person?) with an email address.

The mail serves themselves are just glue for now, like ip routers etc.

Suppose A sends a mail to the list and B gets the mail. Did B then get
an email from A or from the list?
It makes a lot of sense to claim that the mail came from the list. See
the list as a person that forwards mails if you want to.
Then reply-to should go to the list.
Internet standards do not exclude any of these uses. Of course, we are
allowed to let all communication go through the "person" "list", who
then forwards it.

That is not munging, it is just an email from "list", the person "list".

There are two perspectives.

1. We all receive a lot of private mails sent to a lot of people.

2. We all communicate with one robot, and each of us should only see the
mail address of the robot and nothing more. Private mail addresses can
be included somewhere if necessary, but
     they are a side show.

1. makes private replies easy.
2. makes list replies easy.

I think 2 is preferable. I think the argument of sending private mails
is very weak. It is people, who want to send privately, that should go
out of their way.

Cheers,

Morten.