[erlang-questions] Some problem abount exit signal?

Ulf Wiger <>
Sun Dec 5 11:31:30 CET 2010

On 5 Dec 2010, at 04:02, Frédéric Trottier-Hébert wrote:

> I'm not sure this can entirely be a bug. See the following:
> 1> catch exit(hah).
> {'EXIT',hah}
> 2> catch exit(self(), hah).
> ** exception exit: hah
> In this case, exit/1 is trappable, while exit/2 is not. They already behave differently depending on whether they are 'internal' (exit/1) or 'external' (exit/2). I don't see it as too extravagant to have one kind of kill behaving differently than the other in that context.

Bug or not, I think the difference between exit/1 and exit/2 should be documented.

Specifically, I guess the interpretation is that the atom 'kill' is _only_
special when used as second argument to exit/2.

Ulf W

Ulf Wiger, CTO, Erlang Solutions, Ltd.