[erlang-questions] mailing list "reply to"

Jesse Gumm sigmastar@REDACTED
Sat Dec 4 04:13:11 CET 2010

For me, it makes more sense to mangle the reply-to header since 99% of
the time, I'm replying to the mailing list rather than do the
individual.  It makes more sense to me to make the default behavior be
the most common behavior.  I view a mailing list as just another way
of implementing an online forum, and in that regard, the default
action is to reply to the thread, rather than via PM.

If I'm in the minority, and most people actually do private replies
more frequently than public ones, then that makes sense why it's the
default, preferred way.

-Jesse

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 8:16 PM, Alain O'Dea <alain.odea@REDACTED> wrote:
> I love how this topic resurfaces perennially.  I tried to apply the Reply is
> private Reply All goes to Group to a Google Group I created for my
> graduating class.  They flipped out and I reversed it.  Young people these
> days ;)
>
> On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Kenji Rikitake <kenji.rikitake@REDACTED>wrote:
>
>> A reference to the history of Reply-To: header handling:
>> http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful.html
>>
>> FYI
>> Kenji Rikitake

Jesse Gumm