[erlang-questions] guard expression restriction

James Churchman jameschurchman@REDACTED
Thu Dec 2 17:08:49 CET 2010

I'm not sure this argument holds.. guards should fail silently because they are a simple test, nothing else. Custom guards are a piece of procedural code that could potentially span many modules and hundreds of lines of code. Silently failing all this code goes agents erlang let it crash and will lead to errors going unexposed. There is a difference between the try catch example below and the mythical "custom guard" in that in the code below i have the CHOICE to add a try catch or not and let it crash..

@Richard O'Keefe i was unaware of that subtly to list comprehensions. I was surprised that a match that fails does not throw, but make use of that when choosing list comprehension vs other looping mechanisms as it makes handling user supplied data easier.