[erlang-questions] Implementation of a 2006 version of Wichmann-Hill random number generator for Erlang/OTP

Kenji Rikitake kenji.rikitake@REDACTED
Wed Dec 1 01:38:11 CET 2010

In the message <20101201000929.GA61918@REDACTED>
dated Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 09:09:05AM +0900,
Kenji Rikitake <kenji.rikitake@REDACTED> writes:
> * seed elements: old 3, new 4, as Robert pointed out.

The random module has
seed/0,
seed/1 with an argument of a 3-element tuple,
and
seed/3.

new ran() type will be a 4-element tuple.  Anything dependent of the
assumption that ran() is a 3-element tuple will break.

Adding seed/4 will not break the backward compatibility.

Maybe additional code for handling
seed({A1, A2, A3}) and seed({A1, A2, A3, A4}) in
the seed/1 needed?

>   I don't have an idea about generating two elements from one.

A crude implementation is:
  seed({B1, B2, B3}) -> seed({B1, B2, B3, B3}).
  (or seed(B1, B2, B3, B3))

Regards,
Kenji Rikitake