[erlang-questions] shared data areas (was Re: [erlang-questions] OOP in Erlang)

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Wed Aug 18 05:26:36 CEST 2010

"Your proposed alternative seems quite complicated compared to the
(optimization) option of letting the FSMs share a common heap, ..."

It does complicate compilation, but at least it requires no changes to
source code, and encourages loosely coupled encapsulation of large state
records.

Garbage collection issues seem to haunt this whole arena.  I wonder if more
compiler smarts would help here as well.

I've read that almost all reference counting overhead (95%?) can be
eliminated by optimizing compilers.  Since using the memory hierarchy
inefficiently is an increasing source of performance problems, even the
remaining overhead of reference counting (i.e., in cases where the compiler
can't resolve the liveness status of data at compile time) might be
worthwhile.  After all, heap use tends to be roughly stack-like.  You'd
probably get much better locality of reference in most cases if you
collected stuff as soon as possible, or at least very soon after it had been
orphaned.

I don't see how SMP *necessarily* breaks reference-counting, though of
course it complicates things.

Processes that build but then "forget" complex data structures only to die
not long after might run more slowly than before, since they'd be doing a
lot of GC that wouldn't be necessary under an
always-copy/infrequently-collect regime.  But I wouldn't be surprised if
everything else sped up, by reaping the advantages of (1) using short-term
memory more efficiently, (2) using less memory overall for longer-term data
by sharing large data structures, and (3) avoiding copy operations
regardless of the size of the data.

-michael turner