[erlang-questions] shared data areas (was Re: [erlang-questions] OOP in Erlang)

Nicholas Frechette zeno490@REDACTED
Tue Aug 17 16:28:24 CEST 2010

Perhaps erlang would benefit from a system similar to C# appdomains:
Functions calls intra appdomain are simple calls, function calls extra
appdomain are rpc calls where everything is copied. Obviously, this would
translate to message passing for erlang and not necessarily function calls.
Perhaps this could be implicit (ie: 1 domain per erlang application) or
perhaps explicit (ie: as groups using spawn_opt as you suggested). Maybe it
would make sense to create an EPP for a feature like the one you are
requesting Ulf, since as you've shown, there are cases where the simplest
design for a class of applications would benefit greatly from it (and thus
prevent complicating the design to work around performance bottlenecks).

Nicholas