[erlang-questions] OOP in Erlang

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Wed Aug 11 12:38:15 CEST 2010

Ulf Wiger wrote:

>   ...Still, managing large projects [WELL]
>   with loosely coupled components [WRITTEN IN A STATICALLY
>   TYPED LANGUAGE] that need to be upgradable in
>   service is not an easy problem to solve, and largely still a
>   research area.

I accidentally left out the parts in brackets above.
I think Erlang solves it pretty well, albeit often through
convention and intuitive patterns rather than with guarantees.

It could well be that we will eventually see solutions based on
statically typed languages that turn out to be superior, if
they can come up with ways to write concise and readable code
that is statically checkable to an extent that Erlang code
possibly never will be. It'd be sad if that didn't happen,
actually.

BR,
Ulf W
--
Ulf Wiger
CTO, Erlang Solutions Ltd, formerly Erlang Training & Consulting Ltd