[erlang-questions] Sets and Dict test suites

James Aimonetti james.aimonetti@REDACTED
Thu Apr 8 22:16:53 CEST 2010

Robert,

Thanks for the suggestions and the db_test.erl. I've been playing with
my implementation of sets and dict using splay trees and think I've
concluded that they are not useful as a backend for the sets and dict
API (barring a complete mucking of the implementation:
http://github.com/jamesaimonetti/splay). The main issue I ran into is
that splay trees rely on blindly restructuring after queries, as well as
inserts and deletions, to improve the balanced nature of the tree. I
re-read the section (5.4) in Okasaki's book and he does mention this
shortcoming in using splays for sets and finite maps. I've included a
bare bones splay implementation with add, find_min, has, delete, and
delete_min, as well as some others like size and height, for creating a
heap within an application.

Any feedback is appreciated :)

James