Concurrent processes on multi-core platforms with lots of chatter

Evans, Matthew mevans@REDACTED
Mon Nov 30 18:27:27 CET 2009

Hi,

I've been running messaging tests on R13B02, using both 8 core Intel and 8 core CAVIUM processors. The tests involve two or more processes that do nothing more than sit in a loop exchanging messages as fast as they can. These tests are, of course, not realistic (as in real applications do more than sit in a tight loop sending messages), so my findings will likely not apply to a real deployment.

First the good news: When running tests that do more than just message passing the SMP features of R13B02 are leaps and bounds over R12B05 that I was running previously. What I have however noticed is that in a pure messaging test (lots of messages, in a tight loop) we appear to run into caching issues where messages are sent between processes that happen to be scheduled on different cores. This got me into thinking about a future enhancement to the Erlang VM: Process affinity.

In this mode two or more processes that have a lot of IPC chatter would be associated into a group and executed on the same core. If the scheduler needed to move one process to another core - they would all be relocated.

Although this grouping of processes could be done automatically by the VM I believe the decision making overhead would be too great, and it would likely make some poor choices as to what processes should be grouped together. Rather I would leave it to the developer to make these decisions, perhaps with a library similar to pg2.

For example, library process affinity (paf) could have the functions:

paf:create(Name,[Opts]) -> ok, {error, Reason}
paf:join(Name,Pid,[Opts]) -> ok, {error, Reason}
paf:leave(Name,Pid) -> ok
paf:members(Name) -> MemberList

An affinity group would be created with options for specifying the maximum size of the group (to ensure we don't have all processes on one core), a default membership time within a group (to ensure we don't unnecessarily keep a process in the group when there is no longer a need) and maybe an option to allow the group to be split over different cores if the group size reaches a certain threshold.

A process would join the group with paf:join/3, and would be a member for the default duration (with options here to override the settings specified in paf:create). If the group is full the request is rejected (or maybe queued). After a period of time the process is removed from the group and a message {paf_leave, Pid} is sent to the process that issued the paf:join command. If needed the process could be re-joined at that time with another paf:join call.

Any takers? R14B01 perhaps ;-)

Thanks

Matt