[erlang-questions] Re: [erlang-patches] What's cooking in erlang/otp

Alpar Juttner ajuttner.list@REDACTED
Sun Nov 29 07:52:55 CET 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-29 at 16:19 +1100, Anthony Shipman wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 09:07:33 am Björn Gustavsson wrote:
> > We have wanted to be more open for a while now, but still
> > keep enough control to maintain OTP's reputation for stability
> > and reliability. We were not sure how to achieve both goals
> > at the same time.
> >
> > Subversion did not seem to be the answer.
> >
> > Git and github seem to be the answer.
>
> How does git and github do it whereas subversion fails?

Subversion is a centralized system, which divides the people into two
categories - you either have a write access to the repository, then you
can do everything without any control, or you don't have, then you can't
directly contribute to the repository.

In distributed RCS like git, the process of creating/commiting a
changeset is separated from putting it into a repository (branch).
Therefore you can make any kind of changes, your commits will appear
under your name, but they can be reviewed before getting into the
official repository.

Regards,
Alpar