[erlang-questions] The 2 GB limit

Ulf Wiger <>
Sat Nov 28 09:31:39 CET 2009

Igor Ribeiro Sucupira wrote:
> Sorry I was not clear enough. The performance penalty I observed was
> more related to the number of fragments PER SERVER.
> If I insert a total of 10 GB of data on 500 initially empty fragments,
> distributed over 2 servers, and then repeat the experiment with 1000
> initially empty fragments (without changing the number of servers nor
> the total amount of data), the insertion rate will be smaller (I don't
> have the data here, but I think it was something around 20% smaller on
> my experiments).

Oh, 20% seems pretty good to me. :)
Adding lots of local fragments ought to affect both
the hit ratio of the disk cache and the amount of disk
seeks, as both the locality and overhead per object get

But whether that's an acceptable penalty for something
that's essentially a workaround is of course application

Ulf W
Ulf Wiger
CTO, Erlang Training & Consulting Ltd