[erlang-questions] Fastest pseudo-random number-generator: erlang:statistics(io) ?

Jayson Vantuyl kagato@REDACTED
Tue Nov 24 19:59:49 CET 2009

Is it too slow to run the result through erlang:phash/2?

This has the added bonus that phash2/2 (not hash or phash, but phash2) has a range argument, so you wouldn't have to scale the number down to list size.  It also wouldn't be a problem on a system doing very little I/O, as long as it has done some IO.  Of course, you could always toss a counter from the process dictionary (and maybe the PID) into a tuple with it, and poof "unique hash".  I haven't benchmarked it, but I'd imagine it shouldn't be too much slower, right?

For that matter, what about erlang:process_info(self(),reductions)?  Maybe it would be faster since it's only process-local data?