[erlang-questions] The 2 GB limit

Masklinn masklinn@REDACTED
Tue Nov 24 15:40:02 CET 2009

On 24 Nov 2009, at 15:23 , Igor Ribeiro Sucupira wrote:
> Is there any plan (or work in progress) for removing the 2 GB size
> limit of dets files?
>
> And, while this is not accomplished, do you think it could be easier
> to try to raise that limit to 4 GB? Assuming the issue is related to
> 32-bit addressing, I'm guessing (just guessing) that dealing with 4 GB
> files should not be difficult. Am I wrong? Why?

Well if the dets files are merely mmapped when read, given Windows puts the kernel data in the application's address space by default the available memory really is only 2GB (can go to ~3GB using the right boot switch, which may or may not make the system less stable). Even under OSX I'm not sure the memory available to the application process reaches the full 4GB.