[erlang-questions] tk requirement?

Joshua Bronson jabronson@REDACTED
Mon Nov 16 23:03:11 CET 2009

Hey Paul,

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@REDACTED>wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Joshua Bronson <jabronson@REDACTED>
> wrote:
> > Hey Erlang folks,
> >
> > I know relatively little about the Erlang distribution (my exposure is
> > pretty much limited to installing it as a requirement of couchdb and
> > rabbitmq-server). I was wondering if tk is (or has to be?) a hard
> > requirement of the distribution or if (like e.g. Python) it's possible
> > to build Erlang with a no_tk variant / USE flag / etc. in the case
> > that you know you won't be needing to do any gui stuff. (This query is
> > prompted by http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20006.)
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Josh
> >

> Josh,
>
> I've never had any issue with it using the system installed wx
> libraries on 10.5 or 10.6. Reading through the ticket, the library you
> want to check for linkage is probably
> $PREFIX/lib/erlang/lib/wx-0.98.1/priv/i386-apple-darwin9.6.0/wxe_driver.so.
>
> For instance:
>
> $ otool -L
> /usr/local/lib/erlang/lib/wx-0.98.1/priv/i386-apple-darwin9.6.0/wxe_driver.so
> <snip/>

hrm, i looked in /usr/local/lib/erlang/lib and there's a wx-0.98.3 directory
(must be the version the latest macports version (R13B02) ships with? though
on my Snow Leopard machine "/usr/bin/wx-config --version" gives 2.8.8) but
all it contains are the directories doc, ebin, include, and src; "find
/opt/local/lib/erlang/lib/wx-0.98.3/ -name \*.so" gives no output.

do i take it that by commenting out "port:wxWidgets" from my erlang
Portfile's depends_build, I built erlang without wxwidgets?

Granted, that's not the same as disabling the whole thing altogether.

indeed! would still love to know if there's actual official support for
disabling wx/tk :)

> HTH,
> Paul Davis

Thanks,