[erlang-questions] Why Beam.smp crashes when memory is over?

Tony Rogvall tony@REDACTED
Tue Nov 10 13:04:48 CET 2009

Not yet.

What kind of flavor do you have in mind?

One proposal is to let sender crash when receiver in box is full.

I would like to test a blocking version as well. This may sound like
utterly
crazy, but we already have the infamous busy_port ;-)
Busy ports do block senders (mostly distribution stuff).

An other flavor is to drop the overflow message. This can however be
done
by catch (Pid ! Message) if the crash semantics is implemented.

A suggestion from Patrik Winroth is to be able to set thresholds on
resource limits,
say in percent from max limit. When threshold is reached then a
warning message
is sent to a logger process.

The max_memory limit currently control number of words! that can be
allocated for heaps.
This is the sum of sizes of all heaps for the process and it's "sub"-
processes
(spawned by process that had the limit set in the first place). It is
implementation specific
if the message queue and/or the messages them selfs are located on the
process heap.
In the case where messages are none shared and located on a separate
heap fragments
this should be accounted for.

/Tony