[erlang-questions] Bucket Sort

tonakai aykutsoysal@REDACTED
Fri May 22 02:03:42 CEST 2009

hi,
i've implement a concurrent bucket sort in erlang, but its kind of
slow (slower then the sequential version)
i think my mistake is that i first create the buckets, then i send
them to processes i spawned. Will it increase the speed if i send each
integer to processes rather then sending the list at the end? i am
thinking that will increase message-passing...

here is the code:

start2(List, N, Max) ->

    Buckets = sortbucket(
                dict:to_list(seqbucketsort:divide(List, N, Max))
        ),
    Pid_buckets = [{spawn(fun loop/0), Bucket} || {_,Bucket}<-Buckets],
    M = [rpc(P,B) || {P,B} <- Pid_buckets],
    lists:append(
        lists:sort(M)
    )
.

%%This is how i measure the time spend
timedstart(List, N, Max) ->
    statistics(runtime),
    statistics(wall_clock),
    start2(List,N,Max),
    {_, Time1} = statistics(runtime),
    {_, Time2} = statistics(wall_clock),
    io:format("Concurrent Bucket Sort Time =~p (~p) microseconds~n",

rpc(Pid, Request) ->
    Pid ! {self(), Request},
    receive
	{Pid, Response} ->