[erlang-questions] Mnesia record with composite key and QLC questions

Leon de Rooij leon@REDACTED
Mon May 18 15:01:43 CEST 2009

Hi Steve,

Thanks, I didn't know that I could extract variables from each record
(on the left of the <- ) and use them in the search conditions on the
right.. Very nice :-)

I've also found that I  can do:

get_users_by_domain(Domain) ->
         mnesia:dirty_match_object({user, {Domain, '_'}, '_', '_',
'_', '_'}).

It's perhaps indeed nicer to have relations spread over several tables
like you suggest, but where should I stop doing that ? I mean, each
user is for example in one or more groups. Then it would seem nice to
have a list called Groups in the user record which just contains some
group names, instead of having a separate table with foreign keys to
the guid's of users together with a group name.. Perhaps it depends on
whether the data will be used to search on, written often, or whether
the data will only be returned ?

Anyway, I now want to try putting a lot of records in the db ( a
couple of million ? ) and see what the speed difference is comparing
both methods.

thanks again!

Kind regards,

Leon