[erlang-questions] error_logger and the perils of asynchronicity

Marc Sugiyama marcsugiyama@REDACTED
Thu May 14 21:16:33 CEST 2009

In thinking specifically about error_logger, one solution might be to
have it check its queue and shed work when it is overloaded.  For
example, it could shed work by:

1. dumping unformatted messages into the log rather than formatted messages.
2. abandoning a message and noting in the log that it lost a message.
3. abandoning messages with no record.

More generally, some library support for detecting overloaded
processes might be helpful.  I suspect there are several strategies
for doing so (e.g., checking the message queue length. time to process
the message queue, etc.).

Marc