[erlang-questions] supervisor creation

Gamoto gamoto@REDACTED
Wed May 6 12:22:01 CEST 2009

Hi,

One of the syntax for the creation of a supervisor process is:

start_link(SupName, Module, Args) ->> Result         with  SupName = {local, Name} | {global, Name}

The manual says:

 If SupName={local, Name} the supervisor is registered locally as  Name using register/2. If SupName={global, Name} the  supervisor
 is  registered globally as Name using global:register_name/2. If    no name is provided, the supervisor is not registered.

What does it means ? registered locally ? consequence ? advantages ? registered globally ? etc ...

The .app file of an application has already a "registered field" !
The supervisor can be also defined in this field.
Then I don't understand the difference. Could you light me ?

John