[erlang-questions] erlang-questions Digest, Vol 24, Issue 15

John Haugeland stonecypher@REDACTED
Mon May 4 16:30:48 CEST 2009

> > i want to clean the erlang cosole.and want to position the cursor
> > to the top left hand cornet of the console.I went trough the c
> > module on erlang but still i cudnt find a way to clear the screen.
> > can anybody let me know hw to clean the erlang screen.
>
> This is not really an erlang question. Console implementations differ in
> their control codes.

Nonsense.  The erlang console is not an OS console.  If you need any proof,
just try to do nearly any of the things your OS console lets you do; the
Erlang console doesn't do almost any of them.

There is a rich history on this mailing list of people editing their console
to get it to do things that it doesn't currently do because it's
rudimentary, such as color output, correct work with macros, parameterized
modules and so on.  Don't tell someone that something isn't an erlang
question just because you don't know how to do something.  This is something
that a person can do without ever writing non-Erlang code, working entirely
in the Erlang codebase.

This is absolutely an Erlang question.  Much, much moreso than half the
stuff that goes through this mailing list, talking about people's projects
and companies and talking endlessly about Lisp, Hakell, Prolog, complaining
about C++ and back-patting each other about how awful OO is when Erlang is a
clearly OO language.  The "This isn't the right place" argument doesn't work
on this list even when it's correct.  Don't shoot other people's questions
down like this.