[erlang-questions] Non-blocking sends in gen_tcp?

Matthias Lang matthias@REDACTED
Thu Mar 12 21:49:56 CET 2009

On Wednesday, March 11, Cayle Spandon wrote:
> Does gen_tcp provide a mechanism for non-blocking sends, similar to the
> traditional send and select/poll calls in Unix, in the following sense:

Short answer: "no".

Your post almost boils down to "I want to do this the same way as I do
it in C. I'm aware of some ways it could be done in Erlang, but I
specifically don't want to use any of those for mostly unspecified reasons."
I.e. you may be unnecessarily tying one hand behind your back.

On the other hand, there are some things which Just Can't Be Done with
gen_tcp:send(), for instance

  1. You have two things you want to send

  2. You give them both to gen_tcp:send(), which blocks
     (in C, you might have successfully sent the first, but gotten an
     EWOULDBLOCK or EAGAIN or whatever on the second and thus not sent it)

  3. Something else happens, e.g. a timer expires, and you now want to
     send a third item but not the second. But you can't snatch the
     second back from gen_tcp:send()
     (in C, the second item was still under your control)

and it could be that you want to do something like that. If that's so,
I think you're SOL.

It sounds like you already found this discussion:

  http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2008-November/039791.html

which is pretty much everything I know about the subject. There are
other people who know more, they may or may not find time to write
something about it. If you want to dig, I think you'll need to go
lower than prim_inet, i.e to the somewhat daunting

  erts/emulator/drivers/common/inet_drv.c

It's possible I've missed something.

Matt