[erlang-questions] Native code for Windows/MacOS?

Kostis Sagonas kostis@REDACTED
Tue Jun 30 11:59:24 CEST 2009

Tuncer Ayaz wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Joel Reymont<joelr1@REDACTED> wrote:
>> On Jun 26, 2009, at 5:27 AM, Richard O'Keefe wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks very much to Joel Reymont for the pointer.
>>> I'm now geting native code compilation on my Mac laptop,
>>> which gives me about a 3x speedup.
>>
>> I did the original port of HiPE to the Mac, with much help from Mikael
>> Pettersson.
>>
>> That was 3 years ago and I can't figure out how to build HiPE now :-(. Help!
>>
>> ./configure --enable-hipe
>
> That works on two different installs without any ports or fink and just
> plain OSX.5.7 with Xcode installed, here.
>
> The result on my machines is the following beam:
> Erlang R13B01 (erts-5.7.2) [source] [smp:4:4] [rq:4] [async-threads:0]
> [hipe] [kernel-poll:true]
>
> I used to configure with many options explicitly enabled:
> ./configure --enable-threads --enable-smp-support --enable-kernel-poll
> --enable-hipe
> Looks like this is not needed.
>
> Just make sure you don't try to enable HiPE and 64-bit at the same
> time on OSX. But you did not in the error log you sent, anyway :).
> Right now it's either 32-bit beam with HiPE or 64-bit beam without
> HiPE, on OSX. On Linux it works perfectly with HiPE in a 64-bit beam.

As a matter of principle, the HiPE group does not support any platform
that we do not have (physical) access to for development and testing.

Long time ago, the OTP team @ Ericsson was kind enough to donate to us a
PowerPC running Mac OSX and we ported HiPE to it.  We are still using
that machine for testing.  But do not have access to an x86*-based Mac.

Since, as it appears from the post above, HiPE works OK when Xcode is
installed if one uses --enable-hipe, we will gladly include any changes
sent to us so that the configure script detects the presence of Xcode
and auto-enables hipe in this case.  (Or any other improvement for that
matter.)

The address to send patches to is hipe AT list DOT it DOT uu DOT se

Kostis
(for the HiPE group)