[erlang-questions] Is there a way to change the privileges of a working program?

Sergey Samokhin prikrutil@REDACTED
Sat Jun 20 22:33:32 CEST 2009

Hello, Michael!

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Michael Radford<mrad@REDACTED> wrote:
> A safe and easy solution is to configure the OS to forward the
> privileged port to an unprivileged port (e.g. with iptables on Linux),
> and not to run as root at all.

Thanks. I have never heard of such a method to make servers safe, but
I like it! It seems to be the method of choice.

I think there must be also a way to change uid from linked-in driver
(perhaps by using setuid() function), but it doesn't look erlangish
enough to be safe.

Also there might be other methods to try (built into erlang
environment like some_mod:setuid(UID) or belonging OS like
os:cmd("magic_set_uid_command ErlPid UID")), but I know nothing of
them.

--
Sergey Samokhin