Is there a way to change the privileges of a working program?

Sergey Samokhin prikrutil@REDACTED
Sat Jun 20 21:34:26 CEST 2009

Hello!

Often we have to run some kinds of our erlang programs with root
privileges, e.g. to allow them to bind a system port (< 1024). It is
quite dangerous, because once your web-server has been hacked by a bad
guy, the whole system can be affected. I was very impressed to know
that some servers drop root priveleges right after port binding.

Is there a way which will help me to change the privileges of a
running program to the minimum after a system port has been bound?

Thanks.

--
Sergey Samokhin