[erlang-questions] Process overhead

Evans, Matthew mevans@REDACTED
Wed Jun 17 16:26:06 CEST 2009

Agreed. Option 1 is the way to go.

The only other possible solution is to create a pool of processes ahead of time, and have a dispatcher function in a gen_server send requests to those processes (but still one process per session). The only advantage of doing this is it removes the small amount of garbage collection that occurs when a process dies. However, it's a bit of work, and probably not needed unless you think there would be any performance gains (not likely).

-----Original Message-----
From: erlang-questions@REDACTED [mailto:erlang-questions@REDACTED] On Behalf Of Torben Hoffmann
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 10:11 AM
To: erlang-questions
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] Process overhead

I have no clue on the specific memory and CPU overhead of each process, but
Erlang was designed to provide very little overhead for processes.

Scenario 1 is what Erlang is designed for and personally I have had no
issues with using that approach in real life.

Scenario 2 is kind of like adding some context switching using ETS and I
cannot see how that can be more efficient than keeping some processes alive
(which will be suspended intelligently by the runtime). The only certain
thing you will get with this would be extra code, i.e., more to maintain and
understand, but if you are paid the lines of code then by all means!

Cheers,
Torben

--
http://www.linkedin.com/in/torbenhoffmann