[erlang-questions] New IRC Channel: #erlang-otp

Kevin A. Smith kevin@REDACTED
Thu Jul 30 14:52:44 CEST 2009

On Jul 29, 2009, at 6:16 PM, Tuncer Ayaz wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 11:44 PM, Kevin A.
> Smith<kevin@REDACTED> wrote:
>> The problem is a social one, I think. There are a few people on
>> #erlang who
>> come across as pretty hostile, especially to newbies. I personal
>> know of at
>> least 8 experienced Erlangers who avoid the channel because of the
>> environment there. There's no clear op on the channel so no real
>> ability to
>> fix the issue, at least as far as I can tell.
>
> I don't know freenode's policies but I think we can fix the issues
> if someone with an @erlang.org/@erix.ericsson address contacts the
> freenode admins/ops.
>
> BTW, do you have any plans how to keep the climate in the new
> channel healthy besides banning/kicking?

It still early days but we're working on drafting up some channel
rules and a charter. We'll publicize those when they're further along
but I expect fairly simple, common sense rules.

For now, we hope that everyone can act like adults and just get along.
My personal hope is by removing the fear of attacks for the simplest
question people will begin to talk more. It's a social experiment so
only time will tell if it works out.

<snip>

--Kevin