[erlang-questions] Re: Any HTTP 1.0 clients out there?

Steve Davis steven.charles.davis@REDACTED
Mon Jul 13 20:54:07 CEST 2009

Hi Oscar,

The environment is not at all controlled.

Ah yes - Lynx is an interesting use case. I understand Lynx has a
following in the financial sector, and so it definitely counts as
"commercially relevant". I will investigate further to see what happens
with Lynx when faced with an "HTTP/1.1 only" server. It may well tip the
balance.

My view is that server leniency has allowed MSIE, amongst others, to get
away with far too much, and caused a great deal of unnecessary and
frustrating hours in development. This abuse of the spirit of RFC
2616/HTTP1.1 has, I believe, actually held up the growth of the web -
quite the opposite of the intentions of Berners-Lee/Fielding back in the
90's when HTTP was devised and the concept of leniency was "good".

Many applications are now connection-orientated and far richer than just
apache-style "serve media files" roots. Ideally, we would even have
client-server ubf-style contracts; this view means the "right thing to
do" would be to "just say no" to "old" clients in a standards-compliant
way, and move on.

Lynx may well be the use case that stops me doing this.

Regards,
Steve