[erlang-questions] Re: 20k messages in 4s but want to go faster!

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Sat Jul 11 00:55:44 CEST 2009

On Jul 10, 2009, at 11:45 PM, Jim Morris wrote:

> All the clients are on the same node, and the test manager is on the
> same machine but a different Node. The test manager can be on any
> machine as it doesn't look at the timestamps, the clients calculate
> the deltas, the manager just prints out the results.

My issue is that I need to calculate the "broadcast" latency from
server to the client which means that the timestamp has to be set on
the server.

I took a look at the time difference between erl on two Amazon EC2
instances and there doesn't seem to be much of a difference, e.g.

timer:now_diff({1247,266330,594942}, {1247,266331,294060}).
-699118

I had to switch windows and type enter so that accounts for some of
the difference. 70ms should not make a difference against the 4s that
I'm trying to cut down.

I'll try to stamp messages on the server and see what I get on the
client tomorrow. I already have a stats server to calculate min, max,
avg, etc.

	Thanks, Joel

---
Mac hacker with a performance bent