ets vs process-based registry + local vs global dispatch

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Wed Jul 8 19:53:12 CEST 2009

Are there any performance numbers on using ETS to keep track of
processes vs using a process-based registry? What about local vs
global gen_server casts?

I'm keeping track of processes associated with session tokens. I can
globally register a process with a name that includes any term. I can
only use an atom when registering a process locally.

I suspect that sending messages to globally registered processes
({global, {client_proxy, Token}}) is slowing me down quite a bit. I'm
thinking of keeping processes in a token->pid map but I'd like to know
if ETS is generally recommended over a process wrapping a dict or
gb_tree map.

I'm going to run tests and get some hard numbers. I'm wondering if
there's an existing body of knowledge on this, though.

	Thanks, Joel

---
Mac hacker with a performance bent
http://www.linkedin.com/in/joelreymont